What Every Parent Should Know About Lead Poisoning

Home » What Every Parent Should Know About Lead Poisoning » Articles » What Every Parent Should Know About Lead Poisoning

120710-F-ZL760-013 (2)Thanks to growing news reports, particularly from Flint, Michigan, and the issues they are having with their water system, lead poisoning is a topic that is garnering more attention. Lead used to be a common ingredient in paint and gasoline until it was banned in the early 1970s. The effects of lead poisoning, especially on children, can be devastating.

What is Lead Poisoning?

Lead is similar to the many minerals that are absorbed and passed through the body, such as zinc, iron, and calcium. However, lead is a poison that has harmful effects on the mind and body. Because of the way it is distributed throughout the body, lead can remain present for a long time and cause considerable damage.

Exposure to lead over the long-term may lead to serious health issues for young children, toddlers, and babies who are the most vulnerable. While lead is a toxic substance, children are particularly vulnerable because their bodies can retain lead for longer periods of time.

The health effects include the retardation of development in the brain and other areas of the body, which include problems with behavior, anemia, and understanding. The presence of lead in the body may also include pain from headaches and stomach issues that cannot be easily treated. When lead is present in the body long enough, it can get into the bones and affect the production of blood cells and interfere with the effects of helpful minerals, such as calcium.

How Does Lead Poisoning Occur?

The most common source of lead poisoning comes from paints that were made with lead as part of the ingredients. Such paints were banned in the mid-1970s, but there are still many older homes that may still have lead paint on the walls. Lead is also used in paints in some countries overseas, so there is a potential source as well.

Water from old lead pipes and faucets are another common source of poisoning, which reaches the soil and contaminates that as well. It is also important to be cautious of cans, toys, inks, glass, and plaster that come from other counties since they may have the presence of lead inside. The symptoms of lead poisoning can be difficult to discern unless you have a specific test performed.

If you suspect the presence of lead on your property, it is best to call a professional service to treat the issue.

Why Call Brickley Environmental?

At Brickley Environmental, we provide the best services in the identification, isolation, and removal of lead from the home, office, or facility. Our team of experienced professionals understand how to address the presence of lead and provide a step-by-step method for its effective removal. If you suspect the presence of lead in your home, office, or facility, call Brickley Environmental today.

Leave a Comment