Mold Prevention

mold

In outdoor, dry environments mold is an annoying allergen that may cause a few sneezes but is essentially harmless. However, when it finds its way inside a residence, building, or facility and lands on an organic surface, it can become a costly danger. This is especially true if the location is subject to moisture or humidity that allows the mold to reproduce rapidly. 

Left unchecked, the mold will spread and consume organic materials such as wood. The spores created will also cause health issues to arise for those who live or work inside. However, if it is not treated early, it may cost thousands of dollars in terms of damage and replacement. In some cases, homes and buildings have been condemned because of the infestation. 

The key is prevention which means taking the appropriate steps to ensure that it never grows inside your home or building. What follows are a few tips that can help you prevent infestation. 

Check for Leaks: Water leaking from your water pipes, water heater, or drains can cause mold to form and grow. Check over your pipes and eliminate small leaks before they become large problems due to infestation. 

Improve Ventilation: The key to keeping it from reproducing is to reduce the moisture or humidity levels in the air. That means installing proper ventilation in rooms that generate humidity such as the kitchen and bathroom. 

Mold-Resistant Paint & Drywall: When repainting or adding new drywall to areas of your home, particularly the kitchen and bathroom, use mold-resistant materials. Such materials will help keep it in check if it should find its way to the surface. 

Waterproof the Home: Simple techniques such as adding French drains to the foundation or kick-out flashing to the roof can prevent water from getting inside the home. 

But even if you perform all the prevention techniques, there is still the possibility of flooding. 

Flooding

One of the most common ways for mold to reproduce in your home is after a flooding event. Whether caused by precipitation, a break in a pipe, an outside body of water entering the home, or a backup in the drain, it creates the proper conditions to grow. 

It becomes vital to clean up the water and contaminants that have entered. Once the water has been removed, the home must be well ventilated and dried using fans to ensure that any mildew that has not been removed does not have the moisture to grow and reproduce. 

How Brickley Environmental Can Help

Call Brickley Environmental today and find out more about their mold removal services. They can provide the guidance you need to make the best-informed decisions about how to prevent or remove mold from your home, office, or facility. 

For more information on mold, click here to visit the CDC’s website.

To learn more about mold from Brickley environmental, click here.

Mold vs. Mildew – The Similarities and Differences

Mold vs. Mildew – The Similarities and Differences

Although mildew and mold are funguses, there are some important differences that you need to know. This is because the differences are such that they will shape how you clean away the organisms from your home, office, or facility.

Similarities – Mold & Mildew

Both mold and mildew are organisms that grow on organic materials. Both are essentially harmless until they reach a warm, moist atmosphere. The moisture will spark both organisms to grow rapidly and consume whatever organic materials are nearby. Mold and mildew will grow on food, shower basins, and especially wood products that include paper.

It is the growth of mold and mildew that must be checked if you want to preserve the structural support of your residence or business assuming it is made from wood. However, there are some important differences that you need to know as well.

Differences – Mold & Mildew

The most important difference is that mildew is a surface organism that does not penetrate materials nearly to the same extent as mold. This means that if you see the familiar page of white or gray patches, then all you really need is a cleaner and scrubbing brush. Because mildew sticks to the surface, it can be removed rather easily. However, mold is far more insidious as it penetrates surfaces to consumer-organic materials. It’s green or black coloring is easy to identify just like mildew. However, the damage it creates is far more extensive.

If not caught in time, the materials themselves may have to be repaired or replaced. Under dry conditions, mold is generally harmless. The spores may cause a mild allergic reaction to those who are sensitive, but that is the extent of the trouble it causes.

Humid or moist conditions, such as those found in the interior of buildings next to water sources cause both funguses to grow. However, with mold, the growth is far more extensive and damaging. In addition to destroying organic materials, there are certain types of mold that are toxic in nature. However, toxic mold is rare.

Symptoms of inhaling the spores from toxic mold include allergic reactions, headaches, and it can be harmful to those with respiratory issues.

How Brickley Environmental Can Help

If you suspect the presence of these issues, call the experts at Brickley Environmental. We have the expertise to identify and remove funguses from homes and buildings using proven techniques.

For more information on mold & mildew, visit another BrickleyEnv article HERE.

To see more information on the dangers of mold & mildew, visit the CDC.

How to Get Rid of Mold and Mildew

Many homeowners or renters will eventually have to deal with mold in their lifetimes. Mold grows where there is little light, but plenty of moisture, making bathrooms, basements, cellars, north-facing outdoor spaces, etc. very likely to develop mold growth. External walls, sidewalks, and even furniture can develop mold. If you have a mold and/or mildew infestation, either inside or outside, there are some steps that you can take in order to prevent that mold from spreading and to prevent it from taking a toll on the health of anyone who comes into contact with it.

How to Remove Mold and Mildew from Painted Surfaces

If you see a colony of mold growing on a painted service, bleach is a great tool to remove it. Mixing a solution of one part bleach to one part water and then spraying it onto the mold colony can neutralize the issue. First, spray the colony with clean, warm water, and once it is thoroughly damp, spray it with the solution of water and bleach. After it is allowed to sit for fifteen minutes, the mold should be brown, indicating that it is dead.

Another mixture you could try is a one part bleach to three parts water solution, and let it soak into the mold colony for twenty minutes. A gallon of water, mixed with a fourth cup of trisodium phosphate is also a good mixture to kill mold.

Once the colony has been thoroughly soaked and has begun to change color, it is time to take a brush to it. Find one with stiff bristles and clean the mold or mildew away by scrubbing it with the brush. It is not recommended that you use a power washer, simply because power washers can damage the surface underneath the colony.

Throughout this process, be sure to wear eye and hand protection. Once the mold is removed from the surface, use clean water to thoroughly rinse the area and then let it dry for at least a day. To prevent further growth, cover the area in a paint that is mold or mildew resistant and keep the area as clean and dry as possible. Oil-based primers with stain-blocking additives can also help to prevent the return of a mold colony.