Mold vs. Mildew – The Similarities and Differences

Mold vs. Mildew – The Similarities and Differences

Although mildew and mold are funguses, there are some important differences that you need to know. This is because the differences are such that they will shape how you clean away the organisms from your home, office, or facility.

Similarities – Mold & Mildew

Both mold and mildew are organisms that grow on organic materials. Both are essentially harmless until they reach a warm, moist atmosphere. The moisture will spark both organisms to grow rapidly and consume whatever organic materials are nearby. Mold and mildew will grow on food, shower basins, and especially wood products that include paper.

It is the growth of mold and mildew that must be checked if you want to preserve the structural support of your residence or business assuming it is made from wood. However, there are some important differences that you need to know as well.

Differences – Mold & Mildew

The most important difference is that mildew is a surface organism that does not penetrate materials nearly to the same extent as mold. This means that if you see the familiar page of white or gray patches, then all you really need is a cleaner and scrubbing brush. Because mildew sticks to the surface, it can be removed rather easily. However, mold is far more insidious as it penetrates surfaces to consumer-organic materials. It’s green or black coloring is easy to identify just like mildew. However, the damage it creates is far more extensive.

If not caught in time, the materials themselves may have to be repaired or replaced. Under dry conditions, mold is generally harmless. The spores may cause a mild allergic reaction to those who are sensitive, but that is the extent of the trouble it causes.

Humid or moist conditions, such as those found in the interior of buildings next to water sources cause both funguses to grow. However, with mold, the growth is far more extensive and damaging. In addition to destroying organic materials, there are certain types of mold that are toxic in nature. However, toxic mold is rare.

Symptoms of inhaling the spores from toxic mold include allergic reactions, headaches, and it can be harmful to those with respiratory issues.

How Brickley Environmental Can Help

If you suspect the presence of these issues, call the experts at Brickley Environmental. We have the expertise to identify and remove funguses from homes and buildings using proven techniques.

For more information on mold & mildew, visit another BrickleyEnv article HERE.

To see more information on the dangers of mold & mildew, visit the CDC.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *