The Effects of Black Mold Exposure

Home » The Effects of Black Mold Exposure » Articles » The Effects of Black Mold Exposure

Post-Katrina_Mold_in_House_on_Dublin_Street_Carrollton_New_OrleansJust like standard mold, black mold can infest residences, commercial buildings, and facilities. This is especially true in damp areas where the mold can attach and grow. Black mold is especially dangerous and identifying it in the early stages may mean the difference in affecting the health of those who live or work inside.

What is Black Mold?

Black mold is a type of mold that appears quite dark, if not fully black in appearance. It gives off a musty, damp odor and spreads quickly once it finds an organic surface, such as wood, to take hold of. You’ll most often find black mold in kitchens, bathrooms, laundry areas, or any place in the home or building where moisture is in the air.

Black mold is dangerous because it releases spores into the air that can cause allergic reactions. It contains toxins that when breathed in may cause negative effects on your health and wellbeing. Those who have respiratory issues, lung disease, or weak immune systems are most vulnerable to the effects of black mold.

In some cases, too much exposure may lead to black mold poisoning, which results in a further weakening of the immune system. The symptoms of the poisoning are similar to an allergic reaction, such as a runny nose, coughing, red eyes, and itchy throat. When in the latter stages, the symptoms may progress to the following:

  • Headaches
  • Persistent Coughing
  • Difficulty Breathing
  • General Fatigue

Although rare, severe black mold poisoning may lead to mental issues that include loss of memory, an inability to concentrate, unexplained weight gain, nerve issues in the extremities, anxiety, and more.

Identifying Black Mold Poisoning

If you have persistent symptoms of an allergic reaction, it is possible that you are exposed to black mold. It takes a blood test to confirm if the poison has entered the bloodstream. In addition, there are tests to determine if you are allergic to mold, which helps narrow down the cause.

Treatment is a combination of two efforts: the first to rid the symptoms from the body, and the second to remove the black mold from the residence or commercial building. Nasal decongestants, antihistamines, immunotherapy, and steroids are common treatments for black mold exposure.

Unless you find and get rid of the black mold itself, the symptoms will persist. Small patches of black mold on walls or floors can be removed using commercially available products, but an extensive invasion will need a professional company to remove.

How Brickley Environmental Can Help

If you are concerned about black mold forming in your residence or business, the experts at Brickley Environmental offers the best in inspection, treatment, and advice. Please call the professionals at Brickley Environmental if you suspect your residence or commercial building may be infected with black mold.

Leave a Comment