Montana Senator Jon Tester introduced a bill to ban all use of asbestos in the United States. His action, which was joined by 8 other senators, reflects the growing concern about the presence of asbestos. Montana has been hit especially hard with asbestos-related diseases and deaths, which resulted from a vermiculite mine in the Troy and Libby areas.
The W.R. Grace Mining Disaster
In 1963, the Zonolite mining operations took hold in the Libby area of Montana. The mine was massive, producing about ...
The high demand for the latest electronic devices, such as computers, laptops, and mobile devices, has created an enormous amount of electronic waste, or e-waste, around the world. Given how quickly new and improved devices are on the market, it means even more devices are now outdated and considered somewhat useless in most cases.
The result is a build-up of electronic waste that in some countries is reaching alarming proportions. In India, for example, the country has quickly become the fifth largest generator ...
Over the past decade, the work to remove asbestos from the roofing materials of both private and public buildings has reached 56 percent completion in Rwanda. While impressive, the reason why the work is not being completed faster is because of the budget restraints faced by authorities. Funding shortfalls have slowed down the work to remove the roofing materials that have been infused with asbestos.
Considering the 125 million people exposed to asbestos and roughly 107,000 people who die each year ...
Recently, the residents of Berkeley Heights, New Jersey, gained access to a new, free recycling center for unwanted electronic devices and some forms of Styrofoam. Thanks to a grant by the Environmental Commission, this new program promises to be more convenient for residents to dispose of unwanted waste materials.
The devices that qualify for proper recycling in the new facility include, but is not limited to, the following:
Monitors, televisions, and computers
Tablets, laptops, and e-readers
Printers, copy machines, and fax ...
Since the 1970s, lead has been banned for use in paints, gasoline, and many other products because of its effects on the brain. However, its connection to heart disease has only recently been revealed.
A recent observational study from The Lancet Public Health Journal revealed that 256,000 cases of premature death caused by cardiovascular disease in the US may be linked to lead exposure. This new study defies the notion that low levels of lead exposure had little to no effect on premature ...
While lead exposure rates in the US have dropped considerably since the mid-1970s, recent events demonstrate that residents are not totally removed from the issue. Since the 2016 lead contamination and water crisis in Flint, Michigan, it has been discovered that thousands of other communities in the US suffer from lead exposure rates even greater than those documented in Flint.
This new awareness of the presence of lead has caught some off-guard, considering that the substance was banned from products for decades. However, many ...
In South Carolina, a bill was introduced into the State House, which if approved, will change the way mold removal is performed in the state. The bill seeks to employ greater oversight into how mold is removed in public buildings. A committee will be formed to examine the scope of the issue and how best to remove any mold that is in place.
The co-sponsors of the bill are responding to recent issues in the Cherokee County schools, Spartanburg County courthouse, and public ...
Lead is a toxic element that is naturally present in the water, air, and soil. Even small amounts of lead can be dangerous, especially to children. Lead inhibits the proper development of the brain, which in turn can affect speech, emotion, and cognitive ability. In addition, recent studies have demonstrated a link between lead and premature death due to heart disease.
New concerns about lead in food have surfaced in India where instant noodles, a popular food consumed by tens of millions of ...
Just like standard mold, black mold can infest residences, commercial buildings, and facilities. This is especially true in damp areas where the mold can attach and grow. Black mold is especially dangerous and identifying it in the early stages may mean the difference in affecting the health of those who live or work inside.
What is Black Mold?
Black mold is a type of mold that appears quite dark, if not fully black in appearance. It gives off a musty, damp odor and ...
There are many different types of waste, but electronic waste, or e-waste, is generally harder to get rid of for a number of reasons.
What is E-Waste?
E-waste is a term applied to the waste created by discarded computers, mobile devices, servers, cameras, storage devices, and more. Once the electronic device is no longer needed, it tends to be difficult to get rid of because of the investment placed in such a device and the different disposal options that must be followed.
In other words, just ...