Mold and Your Health

Home » Mold and Your Health » Articles » Mold and Your Health

Home mold
Mold is one of the most common household hazards. Mold is naturally occurring and is, in fact, around us at all times. A low level of mold spores is not dangerous to humans. It is inside a home, however, with the doors and windows closed, that a high level of mold spores can build up and can actually become dangerous for a person. Homes that are infested with mold are more likely to have that high level of spores in the air.

Mold grows on just about anything, but is most often found in wood, on clothing, inside air conditioning systems, on the floor, and in ceilings. Anywhere where there is moisture, oxygen, and the right temperature will encourage mold growth. The bathroom, because it has the highest density of these three things, is often the place where a mold infestation starts.

You can prevent this by running the fan after a bath or shower, and by leaving your windows and bathroom door open to help to vent the moisture and dry out the space. Make sure to purchase a mold-resistant shower curtain and to wash it frequently. Toys, old shampoo and conditioner bottles, and other items in your bathtub can attract mold if they are not kept as dry as possible.

Those with allergies, respiratory problems, and immunity issues are most often affected by mold in the home. A person who seems to have allergies inside the home, but sees the symptoms disappear when they leave the house is a good sign that there is a mold issue in the house. Congestion, itching eyes, breathing issues, weakness, body aches, and even digestive issues are all associated with a mold infestation. The longer the infestation goes on, the more severe the symptoms will be, and some people graduate to tremors, tingling, and disorientation.

The key to preventing mold growth is to make sure it has nowhere to grow. Keeping your bathroom and kitchen clean and dry, for example is very important. Cleaning up leaks, spills, and overflows as quickly as possible is also important.

If you have an active mold colony, it can be remediated with vinegar, tea tree oil, and even just soap and water. Physically removing the colony with a stiff-bristled brush, soaked in one of those items, will ensure that the colony itself is removed and the mold is killed.

Leave a Comment